6.01.2009

Success...Basic Crepe Batter

Success is measured in many different ways. For some, its getting a promotion or doing well on an exam. For me today, it's realizing I have mastered making the perfect crepe. Thin, even and just a tad crispy... Perfection. I especially find this to be such a great thing because it opens up so many possibilities for thousands of recipes both sweet and savory. I tried once about 4 years ago to make crepes in a nonstick skillet because I heard that would work just fine. Not for me. There wasn't a good consistency and I couldn't get them to flip well. So I have to say, I have just started my crepe adventures, but I think the pan is key. I bought my Berndes crepe pan at Bering's in Houston, but the same pan can be found here on their website.  I messed up only two before I started making decent looking crepes. At some point in the future, I will try again on the nonstick skillet and see if I can get the same results. I have posted the basic crepe batter recipe I used and will be back with alot more recipes and tips on this matter. Some recipes say that you can whisk the ingredients together, but I have found that the blender yields the best results with the batter.

Basic Crepe Batter*
Ingredients
2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 cup flour
3 tablespoons melted butter
*batter must be made at least an hour before crepes are made to help the batter lose its bubbles and cook more consistently
Step by Step
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender & pulse for 10 seconds.
2. Place crepe batter in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
3. Heat a crepe pan over medium heat and spray nonstick cooking spray on entire pan.
(on my electric oven, the perfect heat comes when the dial is on 4)
4. Pour 1/4 cup of the batter on the middle of the pan and quickly swirl to spread evenly on entire pan.
5. Cook for approximately 45 seconds to a minute and check with spatula... If it lifts easily without tearing, you are ready to flip.  
6. Flip on other side and cook till batter is golden brown and is lightly crispy... about 30 seconds
7. Best if filled and served immediately, but can be warmed in oven while the rest is made.

2 comments:

  1. Ashlea--Way back in the day in Dallas, and maybe even in Houston, was a my very favorite restaurant called the Magic Pan. It served nothing but Crepes, and is where my love affair w/ crepes began. i even had my bridesmaid luncheon there. The combination of fillins for crepes was amazing. Plus they had this little woman at the front of the restaurant with this incredible turning burner who was making fresh crepes on about 8 different crepe pans. one of the crepes I loved was a spinach & ham crepe, but it had like a spinach souffle filling (stoffer's makes a frozen spinach souffle). I have thought about using the frozen souffle as a filling & adding ham to it, I think it would be great. THe other favorite was called Chantilly Crepes. THis was a crepe filled with fresh bananas, fresh whipped cream, then folded, then a syrup poured over it (like a banana's foster syrup,) then more cream and slivered almonds--incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, those sound incredible and I am going to have to try a version of both! yum! I do not believe I know of a restaurant called the magic pan so I guess it is not here anymore... but hopefully I can make them at home! Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete