8.31.2009

Triple Lemon Cupcakes

Yum.  That is the absolute best way to describe these cupcakes!  I broke a cardinal rule of cooking, but thank goodness it worked out for me once again! They say you should never serve something to guests that you haven't tested before.  Well, I guess I will have to have a personal disaster where something turns out nasty before I follow this rule because the two times I have gambled with a new recipe it has turned out great! (last time was the strawberry cupcakes, and we all know how much I loved those!)  I didn't think I was taking too big of a risk though because I got this recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks, Peace Meals, which hasn't let me down once.  However, I did some major adapting by using a boxed cake mix and already prepared lemon curd.  The good news is they still tasted like a specialty cupcake and not like a boxed mix at all!  If you want to be an over achiever and make the lemon curd and cake mix, email me and I will share the rest of the recipe. 
I made these triple lemon cupcakes for my sister-in-law's baby shower last weekend.  I have to say they were a hit (and most importantly, Mr. Hungry told me it was the best cupcake he had ever had!)  I do believe this will also become a go to recipe for me for the following reasons... 1) it was relatively quick with all my shortcuts 2) it was pretty unique because of the inside suprise of a dollop of lemon curd 3) and way way cheaper than the going rate of $3.50 a cupcake at the oh so popular cupcake bakeries. 

Below, you can see how I added a little baby touch with the plastic bottles we bought at Michael's.  If you are making these for a special occasion, I also love a good homemade flag, which I did on the strawberry cupcakes. 
Triple Lemon Cupcakes
Recipe Notes
Lemon Curd has a thick consistency and is used as a dessert topping or as a spread on scones in places in the world where they have afternoon tea.  It is made with lemons, butter, sugar and eggs and a small dollop is the perfect surprise in the middle of these cupcakes.  It can be found in most grocery stores near jelly.  I would splurge a little and don't get the cheapest kind.  My bottle was about $7.00.  If you want the cupcakes to look like lemon, you can add a little yellow food coloring.  Don't go overboard or you will have neon yellow cupcakes.
Ingredients
1 lemon boxed cake mix + additional ingredients on the back of the cake box
1 jar lemon curd
for the icing
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons milk
¼ cup lemon curd

Step by Step
Bake cupcakes according to directions on the back of the box,

For the frosting:
Cream the butter on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add the powdered sugar, then add the mild and blend until smooth. Add the Lemon Curd and mix until well blended.
To Assemble:
1. Using a sharp knife, cut an upside down cone in the middle of each cupcake.
2. Fill each center with a teaspoon size dollop of Lemon Curd.
3. Top each cupcake with Lemon Buttercream.
You can use a resealable bag to pipe on the frosting if you don’t have piping bags. Just fill the bag, then cut off one corner and squeeze. Or, just spread icing on with a butter knife.
My little baby touch to make these Baby Shower appropriate!

8 comments:

  1. Wow, these are beautiful! Did you take any pictures of the food all together at the shower? I can just imagine, red tomatoes, green chicken salad and yellow cupcakes ---- so perfect! I will try these for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. little kitchen: these look delectable. only problem is i can't eat them b/c i'm doing the big WW for the next 3 months b/c who wants to be the chunky sister at your only brother's wedding?? SO- here is a question- can we get a little what what to the peeps out there watching their weight at the moment??? any good LOW CAL recipes you can share???
    also... where can i get peace meals?? am thinking that would be a PERF gift for our little missy on the 21st...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness these look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frances, I do have some pictures, but not of all the food together. I will post them soon though!

    Sarah, I will definitely get a few more healthy recipes up here... for a healthy treat that is already on here, try the healthy banana walnut muffins. They are one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks lady :) also, lindsey's birthday is sept 20th. not the 21st. that was a pretty weird typo for me to make.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you know I am a sucker for a cupcake. These look tasty!

    ReplyDelete