9.07.2009

Wine Marinated Beef Kabobs

Okay, so I promised I would share the recipes of the dinner party I cooked for and I thought I would start with the best one... marinated beef kabobs.  These are definitely going to become a staple in the Little Kitchen.  They were so easy to make and full of so much flavor.  I can see myself making them for my own dinner parties or just for a weeknight meal if I wanted to make it a little extra special.  Another perk is they are pretty inexpensive because using sirloin does not cost much.  I found this recipe from Emeril Lagasse on Foodnetwork.com, but I changed it up a little bit to make it even easier.  The vegetable couscous I served with it is the perfect compliment.  Enjoy!
Wine Marinated Beef Kabobs
Adapted from Emeril Lagasse
Serves 6 (two kabobs each)
Recipe Notes
When buying the beef, tell the butcher that you are planning on making kabobs and ask for a piece of meat that you can easily cut into chunks and also ask him to trim the meat of any fat.  Top sirloin is an inexpensive meat that tastes great once marinated.  You can substitute other kinds of steak, but sirloin is perfect for this dish.  Also, the one vegetable we didn't love on the kabobs was tomatoes so I omitted them from the recipe.  Feel free to add any vegetable you really like.  To cook these kabobs, I broiled them, which I found to be quick and easy.  However, you can always grill the kabobs for the same amount of time if you prefer.  
Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds beef sirloin, fat trimmed and cubed
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
8 ounces button mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed
2 medium yellow onions, cut into chunks
2 large green or red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
Kosher salt
Olive oil
12 wooden skewers
Step by Step


1.  Place the meat in a medium size bowl.  Toss with the salt, pepper and garlic powder.
2. Add the red wine, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, Worcestershire, rosemary and toss to coat.
3.  Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 12 and up to 24 hours.  Soak wooden skewers in a bowl of water for 30 minutes
4.  Remove the meat from the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature.  Preheat the oven to broil.
5.  Put all vegetable chunks in a large bowl.  Coat with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with garlic powder, salt and pepper. 
5.  Thread 1 meat cube onto a skewer followed by the remaining ingredients.  Continue until each skewer is full.  Lightly drizzle skewers with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. (Skewers can be made beforehand and refrigerated up to a day before.)
5.  Cover a baking sheet with foil.  Place skewers on baking sheet and broil for about 6 minutes, turning once. 




1 comment: