10.07.2009

Crunchy Shrimp with Asian Sauce


I just love chinese food, but have never been to really replicate my favorite take-out dishes at home.  When my friend Rachel told me about this recipe, I knew I wanted to try it immediately and I was so excited to have a new yummy dish with an Asian flare.  The best part would definitely be that this is a much healthier version of Chinese food as well.  You can make it with brown rice too for even a healthier twist.  This dish was extremely easy to throw together and so good we will be making it again and again.  When Rachel sent me this recipe, there were no measurements included for the sauce so  I added below exactly what I did in case you like to follow a recipe exactly, but feel free to change it up because you really can't mess it up! Enjoy!




Crunchy Shrimp with Asian Sauce
Recipe Notes
When lightly frying the shrimp, a lot of my panko bread crumbs fell off.  This will probably happen to you too, but just remove the crunchies that fall of when you take the shrimp out of the pan.  When spooning the shrimp onto the rice, spoon the crispies onto the rice as well.  If you leave them all in the pan while making the sauce, they will 2 become soggy and you will lose that good crunch.  I thought serving the sauce on the side worked best for two reasons... Everyone likes to pour a different amount of sauce and that keep the bread crumbs crunchy until right before eating.  Also, the sauce is quite salty so you do not really use it all.  You can also try this breading method with other meats like chicken or pork if you are not a shrimp fan.
Ingredients
2 egg whites
1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs, mixed with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper
1 1/2 cups of shrimp (about 25 medium sized shrimp_
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 a bunch of green onions, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup of chicken broth
1/2 cup of soy sauce
1 cup of button mushrooms, roughly chopped
steamed rice
Step by Step
1.  Dip shrimp in egg white and then into bread crumbs to coat each shrimp evenly.
2.  Heat olive oil over medium to high heat in a large saute pan or skillet.
3.  Lightly fry shrimp for about 1 to 2 minutes on each side, until shrimp are cooked through and bread crumbs are browned.
4.  Remove shrimp and crunchy bread crumbs from pan and cover with foil to keep warm.
5.  In the same pan, add green onions, chicken broth, soy sauce and mushrooms.  Let sauce come to a slight boil and stir.  Turn down heat and allow to simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
6.  Spoon shrimp and crunchies on top of steamed rice and serve with sauce on the side.

1 comment:

  1. I love this one!! I originally made it with pork! It is from a cooking light magazine!

    ReplyDelete