10.11.2009

Homemade Cookie Cake


One of my best friends, Lea, does not like cupcakes.  I know, I know, it took our breath away too when she admitted this to me and a few friends, who couldn't imagine a world without cupcakes.  Well, her birthday is today and I still had to find a way to celebrate with a sweet treat, so I decided to try my hand at a homemade cookie cake.  This is my first attempt and I think it turned out pretty darn good.  I know some of you food purists would be appalled to know that I used pre-made cookie dough, but I did make a homemade buttercream icing, which makes all the difference if you ask me.  If you are in a hurry and don't like to mess with things like a kitchen full of powdered sugar dust or a piping bag, you could just buy the pre-made icing that already has a fancy tip on it (I know, I know... shoot me for all my shortcuts!).
Happy Birthday Lea!











Homemade Cookie Cake
Recipe Notes
I have started cooking all of my cookies (and cookie cakes) on parchment paper.  I have found it to be the most fool proof way to produce perfectly cooked cookies with no burned bottoms.  If you have a different method, feel free to use it.  And the best part, you just crumple it up and your clean up is finished.
Ingredients
1 tube of refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough (two if you want an extra large cake)
parchment paper
flour
for the icing
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons milk
food coloring
Step by Step
1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees (or whatever temperature prepared cookie dough package says)
Lightly flour a rolling pin and a piece of parchment paper so that dough will not stick to either.
2.  Using a rolling pin, roll out cookie dough into desired shape on a piece of parchment paper.  Make sure that dough is evenly rolled for best baking.
3.  Transfer parchment paper with cookie dough onto a baking sheet.  Bake for 10 to 20 minutes, depending on thickness and shape of dough.  Remove when edges are very slightly browned.
4.  Allow to cool completely. Using the edges of the parchment paper, transfer the cookie cake onto the surface that you will be serving from.  Gently loosen cookie cake from parchment paper with a spatula.  Slip parchment paper out from underneath the cake.  If cookie cake is sticking to paper, try tearing the parchment paper and removing half from one side of the cake and half from the other. 
5.  Ice the cake with buttercream icing and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Step by Step for Buttercream Icing
1.  Cream the butter on medium speed until light and fluffy. 
2.  Gradually add the powdered sugar, then add the mild and blend until smooth. 
3.   Add  food coloring until desired color.

2 comments: