4.26.2010

lemon lime tea cakes

IMG_6943
And so it continues... my preoccupation with bite sized fare.  I won't go on and on again for all the reasons I love things in mini portions, but these are perfect for so many occasions.  I had an order for some bite sized food for a baby shower and I remembered about these mini tea cakes my friend Lea had told me about.  They turned out to be the perfect spring treat and they are so easy.  I was thinking about whipping up a couple of batches for Cinco de Mayo.  They just seem like the perfect treat for a fiesta... My only warning:  You might want to consider tripling or quadrupling this recipe... the go very, very quick.  
IMG_6935
IMG_6936
IMG_6937
Lemon Lime Tea Cakes
Adapted from Everyday Food
Ingredients
Cooking spray or butter for coating pan
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest, plus 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
2 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1 large lemon (ends cut off), very thinly sliced and seeded
2 tablespoons lime zest (optional: for garnish)
Powdered sugar (optional: for garnish)
Step by Step
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place a baking rack in the top 1/3 of the oven. Lightly coat a 24-cup mini-muffin pan with butter or cooking spray. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter, 2/3 cup sugar, and lemon and lime zests on medium speed until light and creamy, but not fluffy. Add lemon and lime juices along with eggs and beat to combine, scraping down bowl.  Gradually add flour and salt and beat until blended on low speed. Divide batter among muffin cups (about 1 tablespoon each). Bake until cakes are golden around edges and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 15 minutes.

While mini cake are baking, combine 2/3 cup water and 2/3 cup sugar in a medium size pan.  Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Add lemon slices and rapidly simmer until peel turns translucent and lemon syrup thickens slightly, 5 minutes.
With a toothpick, poke holes all over tops of warm tea cakes in pan. Drizzle 1/2 teaspoon lemon syrup over each cake. Let cakes cool slightly in pan; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

To plate, place candied lemons on a platter.  Place tea cakes on top and sprinkle with powdered sugar and lime zest.  

7 comments:

  1. There is nothing better than the flavors of lemon and lime during the spring and summer! These look delicious! Can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look darling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashlea -- I didn't get a chance to say hello before you left today, but I was at the BUWAH luncheon! How fun to see a fellow blogger out and about. My sister is president of BUWAH this year and usually ropes me into all kinds of projects and jobs with her. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter saw these on here yesterday and said we HAD to make them. So we did tonight! So easy, so good, and so cheap! Such a great recipe. We even added a teaspoon of orange zest because we had one on hand. Thanks! We love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so cute and I agree, I am definitely making these for a cinco de mayo party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We made these this weekend for a dinner problem, and we had one problem. We did not have enough! We had 10 people over and I made a double batch of these and they went so fast some guests didn't get any. This is a great recipe and went really well with the sparkling wine we served.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cathleen ThompsonMay 5, 2010 at 9:25 AM

    We made these for a Cinco de Mayo party we are going to tonight, but my husband already ate half the batch (I might have had a few myself). Luckily, these were really easy and we are going to make another batch before the party!

    ReplyDelete