4.09.2010

The Perfect Breakfast Sandwich

IMG_6802

These little sussies have given me a whole new reason to get up on Saturday mornings.  It's actually kind of sick.  Since I first made these a couple of weeks ago, I start to dream about these mid Thursday when I know a slow Saturday is upon me and I can get up and make these.

Breakfast casseroles rarely do the trick for me.  That fact is mostly due to the fact that I dont't like eggs. I know, I know... I'm weird, but this has often left me out of enjoying the main dish at breakfasts/brunches because eggs are usually the star of the show.  And don't even get me started on all the late night I've missed out on too.  I am still petitioning that Whataburger have a taquito with no egg.  Don't they get it?  Not everyone likes egg!! ...just had to get that off my chest... moving on.

And I know there are just as many out there who might not like bacon or might not like cheese so these little sammies can be adjusted to your liking. I have turned the corner a little bit and I do like egg whites so I simply make that adjustment for mine.  Moral of the story... egg or egg white... canadian bacon or bacon... cheese or no cheese... the possibilities are endless and you can make them individually so everyone gets exactly what they like.

From my little kitchen to yours... Enjoy.
IMG_6801


English Muffin Breakfast Sammies
Recipe Notes
Like I mentioned before you can easily substitute all of these ingredients below.  Other combinations I have tried include bacon instead of canadian bacon, egg white instead of egg, and just canadian bacon and cheese.
Ingredients
1 english muffin, halved
1 teaspoon of butter, softened
2 slices of canadian bacon
2 sandwich slices of cheddar cheese
1 egg, scrambled
Stepy by Step
Lightly butter each side of the english muffin.  Toast in oven or toast until slightly brown and crispy. If you like your breads extra crispy, cook a little bit longer. 
While english muffin is toasting, cook the canadian bacon over medium heat in a nonstick skillet for about 2 minutes on each side. Remove the canadian bacon and keep warm.  Lightly spray nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat back to medium heat.  While tilting the nonstick skillet, pour scrambled egg on to one side of pan.  Using a fork, continue to scramble the egg while it cooks, and form into a circle, about the size of the english muffin.  Tilting the pan will help keep the egg in one area of the pan.  Salt and pepper the egg patty.
Set the oven on broil.  Place each side of the english muffin on a baking sheet.  One one half stack the egg, canadian bacon and a piece of cheese on top.  On the othe half, stack a piece of canadian bacon and the other slice of cheese.  Broil for a couple of minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.  Remove from the oven and combine halves.

Serve hot.

IMG_6804

6 comments:

  1. Oh great, I have two more hours till lunch and now I am starving!! This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! Love your blog btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you remind me of rachael ray when you use words like "sammie". what's next..."yum-o"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love nothing more than a great breakfast sandwich, with tons of gooey cheddar. Yum! These look wonderful! My latest thing is adding grilled onions and a smear of dijon mustard. I'm drooling now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We made these this weekend and they were so good!! The best part is they are pretty easy to put together, but my family thought it was a "special breakfast." Thanks Little Kitchen that Could!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are making these this weekend! I can't wait for tomorrow morning. I might have to break down and make one tonight for dinner!!

    ReplyDelete