8.04.2010

Cheesy Potatoes

DSC_0384
I want to be very clear from the get-go that these are not everyday potatoes; I battled with the idea of titling this post special occasion potatoes or vacation potatoes because they are indulgent and amazing, but it is slightly scary how easy they are to make.

Confession: Earlier this summer, we spent a weekend with a whole bunch of friends at another friend's ranch.   We split up meal duties and one night I was assigned "sides."  Months earlier, when we scheduled this weekend, I had big plans of whipping up something great for a side.  My only excuse for mediocrity was that we were in the middle of this debacle, but seriously that is no excuse.  Long story short, when the day actually came and we were headed out to the ranch, I was blank... I couldn't think of anything to bring.  We ran by the grocery store and I racked my brain, but nothing, nothing came to mind.  I am embarrassed to say that I grabbed a bag of white rice.  white rice?! My brain was fried and I had no idea what anyone else was bringing and I thought maybe my rice would just blend in with the rest of the meal.

Well, I still haven't heard the end of that decision, probably because I didn't even make the rice.  When it came time for dinner on Saturday, I smelled something in the kitchen that immediately made me even more insecure about my rice.  My friend, Amy, made these cheesy potatoes and just from hearing the words cheesy potatoes, I knew my sad, white rice would not be touched.

Once I ate these potatoes, I was feeling even lower (if that is possible), because it definitely seemed like she had been slaving over these all day; and, they were amazing!  I told her how much I loved them and she quickly shared with me how easy they are to prepare.  Well, that is an understatement.  For something that seems so decadent and delicious, the 5 minutes it takes to put these together will astonish you.  You will quickly see why I have the need to call these special occasion potatoes... the ingredient list is probably enough to give you a heart attack, but it is so so worth it.

So, thank you Amy for sharing this recipe with me!

Cheesy Potatoes
Recipe Notes
The recipe called for thawing out the frozen potatoes by setting them on the counter for an hour or two.  I (as usual) was throwing this together last minute and did not have time to let the potatoes thaw.  Instead, I followed the directions on cooking the potatoes to get them warmed up.  Add a tablespoon of olive to a nonstick skillet and heat over medium heat.  Cook potatoes for 5 to 10 minutes.  You do not need to cook them through, just enough to where they are no longer frozen.
Ingredients

2 lb bag of frozen hash browns, thawed (diced potatoes) see recipe note
8 oz. bag of shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 stick of butter, melted
1 can of cream of chicken soup
8 oz. sour cream
Step by Step
Mix all ingredients together.  Spread in a 9 x 13 greased pan. Bake at 350 for 20-25 covered and then remove foil and bake for additional 20-25 until gold and bubbly on top. 

3 comments:

  1. wow! these look amazing, but I could definitely see how you could get in trouble if you made this recipe everday. We are having a 50th birthday party barbecue for a friend next weekend and I am going to have to add the to the menu! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm...I have some relatives that make potatoes that are really similar (if not identical) to this! One of them adds cornflakes, which sounds a bit odd, but they add a nice crunch. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I will have to try that next time. I left them in the oven a few minutes longer to get them nice and toasty, but that sounds like it would go perfectly.

    ReplyDelete