8.29.2010

creamed corn + a confession

DSC_0448
I battled the idea of renaming this altogether because I know I would personally have no interest in reading a post about creamed corn. However, I promise you should keep reading. This is the best creamed corn, maybe corn in general, that I have ever had. This is not your sloppy, goopy creamed corn that you would get served at a cafeteria.

This is crisp corn kernels that have been sauteed in onions and cream sauce and is absolutely delicious. And once again, this couldn't be easier. So, please, take my word for it and try this dish while there is still great summer corn at grocery stores.
DSC_0447


Now on to the confession...

I cannot make skirt steak... also known as flank steak. I am really beside myself about it. The key to skirt steak is the way you cut, so I've heard, and I've cut this darn meat every which way and I still get a barely-able-to-chew piece of meat. I've done marinades, I've grilled, I've seared and still... nothing but hours of chewing. My friend Jennifer told me about this meal from Real Simple and I don't feel like it was a total loss because of the great sides, but if someone could give me a few hints on skirt steak I would be forever grateful.

DSC_0458
If I get any good hints and can re-make this meal, I will share... and I will tell you about the salad because it was easy and delicious, but I'm going to hold out on you in hopes someone tells me something about skirt steak.

Creamed Corn
Recipe Adapted from Real Simple
Recipe Notes
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the corn, half-and-half, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and simmer until the corn is tender and the half-and-half is slightly thickened, 5 to 8 minutes.

7 comments:

  1. Mmm, I love creamed corn! That sounds like it would be like Rudy's, but with onions (even better!).

    As for flank steak, I know what you mean, but don't have any tips since I've never cooked it. I'm guessing you've probably seen this, but just in case: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/01/marinated-flank-steak-part-one/ Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, I am not one to try creamed corn, but you have never steered me wrong yet so I will trust you on this one. Thanks for another recipe. Sorry I do not have any tips on skirt steak, but I would love tips too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. marinating is the key when we make flank steak. we have used different sodas as marinades because the sugars help break down the tough parts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you say you have cut it every which way, I'm sure you have heard of this, but it is really important to cut it "across the grain". This has always been the key for me. And I cook it for just a few minutes and it comes out medium and tender. Good luck!

    Angela Martin

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is interesting. never heard of the soda thing, but I guess it makes sense. Can't wait to see your results!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, judging from the picture you posted, the steak was probably cooked a little longer than is ideal. Since the flank is already thin (I'd say 1/2" average), you need no more than 2 minutes on a hot grill or pan per side to sear. Rest it for 5-7 minutes, and it will be pink and not so chewy. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tips and keep'em coming. I will try again soon!

    ReplyDelete