1.08.2011

big BIG bummer.

Happy New Year everyone.  It's not too late to say that, right?  It's taken me awhile to come back here partly because I was busy celebrating the holidays, but partly because I am quite saddened about what has happened to this little blog.

Long story short... I have erased quite a few of my pictures from past posts and will not be able to retrieve them.  If you use flickr, then read what happened to me below so it doesn't happen to you, but for the rest of you, I won't bore you with the details.  Thank you to some of the readers who emailed me about this problem and after much effort, I will not be able to get them back.  Thankfully I didn't erase all of them, but  I am taking some time to work out a new way to store photos.  If anyone has any great suggestions on how to store lots of pictures somewhere other than your computer, please share. In the meantime, I'll be back soon with a really great couscous recipe, but I just needed to vent first.

my flickr faux pas...
I purchased a flickr pro account so that I could store an unlimited amount of photos on flickr.  I upload pictures from iphoto on my mac using the flickr uploader in iphoto.  Over the holidays, I decided to clean out a lot of pictures from my computer to free up some memory, thinking they would forever be on flickr.  And since I was serious about freeing up space, I deleted them and then deleted them permanently (ugh).  A week later, a reader (hi Pamm) emailed me about my photos being gone.  Well, turns out, when you use the flickr uploader, it is simple a mirror image of your iphoto library.  So, if you delete a picture in iphoto, it is deleted from flickr.  Which for me, defeats the purpose all together because I wanted to use flickr to free up space on my computer. Anyway, after being outraged and feeling wronged that flickr never told me this, I have moved on and I am just thankful I didn't go too crazy and erase everything.  I'm  now in the process of finding a better place for my photos and will slowly work on re-photographing food that I lost.  I hope someone out there can learn from my mistake.

6 comments:

  1. Whoa, seriously?? I also have a mac and use flickr uploadr...thanks so much for the heads up. I wasn't planning to delete a bunch of photos soon, but this makes me worry more about my hard drive crashing. So sorry that this happened to you. The only other photo storage places I've used are photobucket and google/picasa. Will definitely need to back up more often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is terrible! but i am glad you shared and I hope someone has a good answer out there. We have been researching this as well because my family all stores pictures on the same computer and it is overloaded. I want something easy to access as well. I will keep you updated if I here of anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats not good! I use Shutterfly to back up all of my pictures. Its free and I've deleted a lot of pictures from iPhoto and they've still been in Shutterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. huge bummer! I use external hard drive to store all of my photos, but I do not upload as much as you do so I do not know if that would be difficult. Hope you find a good resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry to hear that happened to you. However, I might know your solution. If you want to continue to use flickr, you can actually do the traditional uploading through their website and it will not mirror image your iphoto library. That only happens when you use the flickr uploader that comes in iphoto. I happen to realize this pretty quickly or would have ended up with the same problem. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the ideas! Dani, that is great information. At the moment, I am so mad at Flickr I just want to use something else. But when I cool down and get rational, that will be great info. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete