5.09.2011

Cheesy Crash Potatoes

DSC_0099
Chances are you've seen this recipe (sans the cheese).  Cause let's get real, when the Pioneer Woman posts something, there are not many people interested in cooking that don't see it.

So I'm gonna keep this short.  She posted these little potatoes and I knew I had to try them.  I'm pretty sure ice cream is the only thing that hasn't gotten a sprinkle of cheese on it in my kitchen so I just had to use a little cheddar on these and let's just say it was a great decision.  So no matter what you're cooking tonight, chances are these potatoes could be a quick easy side.

From my little kitchen to yours... Enjoy.
DSC_0075
Cheesy Crash Potatoes
Adapted from The Pioneer Woman
Ingredients
12 whole small red potatoes (or other small round potatoes)
3 Tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
Rosemary to taste
Shredded sharp cheddar cheese, about 1/2 cup
Step by Step
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add in as many potatoes as you wish to make and cook them until they are fork-tender.  On a sheet pan, generously drizzle olive oil. Place tender potatoes on the baking sheet leaving plenty of room between each potato.

With a potato masher (or large fork), gently press down each potato until it slightly mashes, rotate the potato masher 90 degrees and mash again. Brush the tops of each crushed potato generously with more olive oil.

Sprinkle potatoes with kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper and fresh chopped rosemary (or chives or thyme or whatever herb you have available.)

Bake in a 450 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.  Half way through cooking, about 10 minutes, remove potatoes from oven and sprinkle each on with cheese.  Place back in the oven and bake for another 10 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and potato is browned.  

Makes 3 to 4 servings.
DSC_0087
DSC_0092
DSC_0095
DSC_0106

8 comments:

  1. Smooshed food is the best! Great share :)

    And cheese makes everything better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so ready for my 10 day challenge to be over!!! We have extended it.....
    These look so good, as does everything else you post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so making this tonight to go with our grilled chicken. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashlea, this are great, so creative to gently mash the potatoes and top it with cheese...love it! Will definitely try it. Hope you are having a great week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could just reach out and grab a few of them out of my screen. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, yum! I made her crash potatoes once and they were unbelievably good. Cheese can only make things even better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to update that we made these this weekend and they were so good. My only tip would me to make a lot because between two of us, we ate all 12 of these little potatoes. Really great with grilled meat and the cheese added so much flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made these delicious, little potatoes this weekend for some friends and everyone loved them! Thanks for the great recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete