7.27.2012

Avocado Cucumber Soup

cucumber avocado soup
I owe you a story... and oh, is it a long one. 

I just have this one problem.  I've been so hot lately I just can't think.  

It's blazing outside and I'm totally blaming my slowness and total lack of concentration on this blasted heat. Yep, I blame the heat for my exhaustion that leaves me little to no energy to do anything but lay on the couch, drink Coconut La Croix and watch Real Housewives reruns.  It's simply not my fault.  
cucumber avocado soup






















I've found a way to jumpstart my brain and while I try to pull my thoughts together on the wedding cake roller coaster saga, I decided to share what is to thank for pulling me through. 

Chilled avocado cucumber soup.  Ah, I feel refreshed just talking about it.  I've only wanted the coldest of foods lately and while three popsicles and another Coconut La Croix  is soothing, it doesn't quite leave me full. 

Enter this chilled soup.  For the first 25 years of my life, I wouldn't touch cold soup with a ten foot poll.  It just seemed so wrong to me.  If I'm slurping up a bowl of soup, I could only imagine a yummy chowder in the dead of winter.  I happened to try a tomato gazpacho that someone brought to work during another exhaustingly hot summer and I was hooked.  It was filling and refreshing all at the same time. 
soup ingredients
I could eat little else besides avocados for the rest of my life and be happy so when I saw this recipe in my favorite cookbook, I had to give it a go.  

Try it.  I promise it will cool you to the core. 

From my little kitchen to yours... Enjoy. 

Avocado Cucumber Soup
Recipe Notes
*This recipe requires advance preparation... at least three hours.  There seem to be two sizes of avocados.  Big and small.  If using smaller avocados, use 3 to four to get lots of creamy avocado flavor.  Taste the soup after it is well blended.  You might need to add a bit more salt and blend if you're a big salter (I'm a big salter if you were wondering so I added a 1/2 teaspoon more).  This soup freezes really well.  Freeze in an airtight container and when ready to eat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight.  
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 large cucumbers, peeled and chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
2 large avocados, pitted, peeled and chopped
1 medium sweet white onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, plus additional for garnish
1 fresh jalapeno, seeded and coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
plain nonfat greek yogurt or sour cream, for garnish
Step by Step
Puree the ingredients except yogurt in a blender until smooth.  Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or up to 1 day.  For best flavor, make the day before.  Add a dollop of yogurt (or sour cream) and a little bit of minced cilantro for garnish. 

Serves 6. 


3 comments:

  1. Ashlea,

    Have you tried using store bought kale to use in your kale salad recipe? I've noticed that kale is available in the packaged salad section.

    I've recently started buying fresh salad makings instead of the pre packaged variety. I think the fresh seem so much fresher & look better.

    Carla Kay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried them since I had been growing it in my garden. The crop is pretty much gone now so I will definitely try some a bag. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete